Thursday, January 26, 2012

I know pansies can withstand somewhat cold temps., but how cold?

I live in N.E. Georgia, where it freezes and snows and ices in the winter, this weekend is going to be 29-32 degrees, I have beautiful pansies growing in my flower bed, and they will still be there, just as beautiful when the temp. warms up. What pansies do not like is hot sun beating on them, you can grow pansies in the summer as long as you plant them as a shade plant and keep them watered, and dead headed,[removing old blooms before seeds set]. It has been in the teens as far as coldness goes, the cold slows downs the growth of the pansies, it doesn't stop the plant from living.

Hope I helped.

I know pansies can withstand somewhat cold temps., but how cold?
Many different kind of pansy plants now and they are all not the same some can withstand cold better than others.

If you buy your pansies from local nursery and they say will overwinter, the plant is still alive even the weather damages the leaves. Just cut all the damaged leaves and it will grow new ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment