Thursday, January 12, 2012

What type of soil should I use in my container garden?

I've got a few potted houseplants and I've just got them in regular potting soil. They are doing well but then again I can control their feedings and waterings. I do move 1 of those plants outside in the summer so it will flower, but other than that I've never had a successful outdoor container garden. I'd like to try again, but in my research on the types of soil and drainage to use, I've gotten confused. What works for you all? I'd like to plant some ornamental grass, pansies and petunias in the various containers. I have 4 window boxes and 2 24" containers.



Thanks!

What type of soil should I use in my container garden?
Go to a home improvement store that has a garden department. They make potting soil specifically for container gardens. Miracle Grow has one that has fertilizer and these little pellets that soak up water, so if you miss a watering, the moisture from the pellets goes into the soil. Also remember that outdoor container gardens generally need more water than indoor plants. If your planters have a drainage hole, you'll probably be ok without adding anything to the soil, just be sure that the hole doesn't get plugged when you plant everything in the planter. Also, be careful when choosing plants. You want all of them to have similar needs- light, water, fertilizer, etc.
Reply:Ordinary potting mix should be fine. The only thing I can think of is that the plant might not be getting enough sunlight or that they are getting too much water. But if you are trying again look at the plants you a using and find out what type of soil that they need - acid or neutral. Get a soil tester from you nursery and see if that helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment