Tuesday, February 7, 2012

GArdening help, what zone, etc??

I am in Haliburton, Ontario- what gardening zone would I be in?



I bought some pansies (about 32 4-packs), for the front of my house. When can they be planted safely?

I also bought a pack of 65 bulbs for spring planting, summer blooming- says its a garden in a bag... heres whats in it



-20 glad bulbs

-12 sparaxis

-3 dahlias

-12 acidantheras

-8 iris

-10 anemones



What I wanted to do is plant the pansies in the front of my flower bed, and plant the bulbs in the back, so when the pansies fade with the hot weather, the bulbs will be grown and flowering. The area I am working with is 14" wide, 10 feet long, then another of the same area on the other side of our front steps. I want to plant the dahlias in a large pot on our front steps, since we don't use the front door.

DO you think this will work, and do you have any further ideas for me to work with (placement of the bulbs, etc)... I just want colour in front of our boring bland white house!!!

GArdening help, what zone, etc??
This map will help you figure out what gardening zone you're in: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/hardiness...



Your plan sounds like a good one. I like the idea of planting both annuals and bulbs. Watch the height of your plants and be sure to put the smaller plants (usually anemones) in front of the taller ones (such as glads).



I haven't tried planting bulbs in spring for summer blooms. I plant bulbs for spring color (we now have daffodils, hyacinths, and tulips in bloom), then rely on annuals and perennials for the rest of the season.



Have fun!

email

No comments:

Post a Comment